Saturday, February 8, 2014

It really is the best coffee cake...ever.




I've got the winter blues. Scotch doesn't help. Reading doesn't help. Funny movies don't help. Flowers barely help. I've resorted to baking and jazz. The worst summer of my adult life I turned to gardening as therapy, I figure this can't be much different. 

Last night I was laying in bed looking for recipes and stumbled upon the best coffee cake (ever) on The Pioneer Woman Cooks. She didn't lie. It was the best coffee cake I've ever made with my own two hands and quite possibly the best I've ever tasted. I bullshit you not. 


I followed her recipe to the letter except for the 1 1/2 cups of pecans. (I only had sweet n spicy pecans and didn't want to use those.) I instead subbed about 3/4 of a cup of Bear Naked Maple-icious Pecan Granola. Loooooove. The perfect addition of oats and nuts. 


The egg whites were ingenious and made for such a fluffy cake. (Even with the heavy topping.)

While this definitely isn't a diet friendly option we absolutely loved it. I can't wait to make it for a pitch in or a brunch. 

Have you baked anything lately? Any recipe suggestions? I'm not joking. I'm going to bake something every day until I feel better. (Pray for my waistline and my sanity.)

LJ

1 comment:

  1. I love coffee cake and this one looks good!

    I'm not much of a baker so I have no recipes to share ... but sending prayers for your waistline and sanity ;)

    ReplyDelete